Newton Isokpehi, the police officer whose video went viral after he threatened to shoot anyone recording him while on duty, has publicly apologised over his remarks.
In a fresh video shared on his TikTok page on Thursday, the officer said his earlier comments were made out of frustration and were never meant to be taken literally.
Speaking in Pidgin English, Isokpehi appealed to Nigerians and rights activist, Harrison Gwamnishu, who had circulated the initial video online, to forgive him.
Translated into standard English, he said, “Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening. These things are painful.”
The officer explained that he was not against citizens recording police officers, insisting that his statement had been misunderstood.
“Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty. They have taken it too far,” he said.
Isokpehi, who said he is from Edo State and was raised in the barracks in Kaduna, described himself as a committed officer who had dedicated years to serving the country.
“Anywhere people ask about me, people will testify to my character. I have worked in the Mobile Police for 12 years. I have worked for my fatherland with all my heart,” he stated.
In the video, he also showed several gunshot wounds on his body, using them to explain the sacrifices he had made while serving in active operations.
“Look at my body, these are all bullets. These are all gunshot wounds. See my chest, bullet has eaten into it. Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation.
“We have suffered in this work. So it was out of annoyance. We don’t even like complaining,” he said.
Addressing his earlier threat directly, the officer denied having any intention of harming civilians.
“How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don’t do that. I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk,” he added.
He also made a direct appeal to Gwamnishu, saying the issue had escalated beyond what he expected.
“Harrison, forgive me. I beg the whole of Nigeria, please forgive me. This one has reached too far. If you want to know me, come and meet me one-on-one. You will know me personally. I will not run. I will not surrender,” he said.
The officer ended his message with hope that the welfare and conditions of police personnel would improve under the current leadership of the Nigeria Police Force.
“We have decided that we will die for our fatherland. One day, things will surely get better by the grace of God. One love to the world,” he said.
His earlier video, where he threatened to “clear everybody down,” including bystanders around anyone filming him, sparked outrage after circulating widely on X and Instagram on Wednesday.
