Latest

ABDUCTED OYO TEACHER KILLED BY BANDITS

Tension and grief have gripped Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State following the killing of one of the teachers abducted from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, identified as Michael Oyedokun.

The teacher was reportedly beheaded by his abductors in a disturbing video allegedly released by the bandits on Sunday.

The footage, which surfaced on Telegram and was seen by our correspondent on Monday, showed the victim tied up and compelled to speak before he was brutally murdered.

The shocking development has intensified fears over the safety of the remaining victims still being held captive, as residents and relatives continue to plead for urgent intervention from the government and security agencies.

Families of the abducted victims, community leaders and natives of the area have called for intensified rescue efforts to prevent further loss of lives.

Confirming the incident on Monday, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, Dr Suleimon Olanrewaju, said the governor commiserated with the family of the slain teacher and reassured residents that every effort was being made to rescue those still in captivity.

He disclosed that security operatives were combining both kinetic and non-kinetic measures in the ongoing operation.

Olanrewaju further revealed that about six suspects connected to the abduction had been arrested.

He also sympathised with families of soldiers, Amotekun operatives and local vigilantes who died during the rescue mission.

According to him, the operatives were killed after encountering Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) allegedly planted by the abductors.

He added that injured security personnel were responding well to treatment, assuring that the state government would provide the necessary support for their recovery.

Appealing for patience, the governor’s aide urged relatives of the victims, religious organisations and concerned residents not to lose hope as efforts to secure the release of the abductees continued.

“So, please, there may not be quick fixes, but we will continue to endeavour to push ourselves to the limit to resolve this quickly.

“What we know right now is that seven teachers in all were abducted. And, unfortunately, we got a video this morning that one of the teachers, I understand, the mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists,” he stated.

Governor Makinde also disclosed that arrests had already been made in connection with the attack.

“Well, from the information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality.

“Some of them, we believe, are perhaps informants or people running logistics for the terrorists.

“Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state,” he said.

Gunmen had invaded the school on Friday, May 15, abducting the principal, several teachers and some students.