Latest

WIKE ORDERS PROBE, ARREST OF DEVELOPER OVER DEADLY ABUJA BUILDING COLLAPS

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has directed authorities to launch a comprehensive investigation into the building collapse in Abuja that left five persons dead, declaring that both the developer and an engineer connected to the project would be arrested.

Wike issued the order on Monday during an inspection visit to the site of the tragedy in the Durumi 3 area of Abuja, close to Gudu Market, where a structure under construction collapsed on Saturday morning.

The incident, which happened around 9:00 a.m., resulted in the death of five people, while several others sustained injuries.

According to the Mandate Secretary for Health and Human Services in the FCT, Adedolapo Fasawe, rescue teams recovered 15 persons from the debris. She said nine victims were rescued alive, while one survivor remains in critical condition.

Describing the incident as heartbreaking, Wike said the administration would not tolerate negligence that puts lives at risk.

“From the report I got, we lost five people, and some lives were saved. It’s very pathetic. Nobody is happy when you lose somebody,” the minister said.

He revealed that the FCT Department of Development Control had already sealed the property and that a panel would be inaugurated to investigate both the immediate and underlying causes of the collapse.

“The Department of Development Control has sealed off the premises. We are going to set up a panel to really look at what happened. One of the engineers has been arrested already. From there, we’ll get to the developer, and the developer will also be arrested,” Wike said.

The minister explained that the FCT Administration had formally taken over the matter, while the Department of Development Control would begin preliminary investigations pending the outcome of the panel’s report.

Wike also cautioned developers against preventing officials of the Federal Capital Development Authority from inspecting construction projects, saying some individuals resort to intimidation and blackmail whenever authorities attempt to enforce building regulations.

He stressed that strict compliance with construction standards remains essential, especially in areas such as soil testing and the quality of materials used for projects.

“In the construction of buildings, we must know the quality. What materials are they using? Are they doing the soil test? What is the result of the soil test? Can it allow for two floors or three floors? All these are very key,” he said.

The minister added that no amount of compensation could replace the lives lost in the disaster, noting that safeguarding lives and property remains the primary duty of government.

“How can you buy back these lives? They are gone. That is the responsibility of government: to protect life and property,” he said.

Fasawe disclosed that early findings by the Standards Organisation of Nigeria indicated that the developer might have compromised the cement mixture used for the project.

She advised residents and property developers in the nation’s capital to always secure approvals from the FCT Department of Development Control before commencing any construction work.