President Bola Tinubu has vowed that every person abducted during the attack on schools in Oyo State will be brought back safely, while strongly condemning the killing of one of the kidnapped teachers.
In a statement released on Monday through his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the President said security agencies have intensified operations aimed at locating the victims and dismantling the armed group responsible.
The attack took place last Friday in Esiele community, Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where armed men invaded Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School. Staff members, pupils, and students were taken away during the assault.
According to the presidency, security forces are currently conducting coordinated operations to rescue the abductees and track down the attackers as well as individuals believed to have aided them within the community.
Reacting to the development, Tinubu described the reported killing of one of the abducted teachers as inhumane, expressing sympathy with the Oyo State government led by Governor Seyi Makinde and with families affected by the incident.
“I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.
“The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.
“The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.
“Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police,” the President said.
Meanwhile, Governor Seyi Makinde confirmed on Sunday that one of the abducted teachers had been killed and reiterated his administration’s commitment to securing the release of the remaining victims.
He disclosed that seven teachers were taken during the attack, while the number of abducted pupils is still being verified.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers were abducted. Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, understood to be the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists. Our prayers are with the family,” Makinde said.
In response to the incident, teachers across Ogbomoso on Monday halted academic activities and staged a peaceful protest to the Oyo State TESCOM office, expressing anger over the abduction and killing.
Carrying placards with different messages, the protesting teachers called on authorities at all levels to urgently improve security in schools and ensure the safe return of those still in captivity.
They also demanded stronger protection measures for both teachers and students, stressing that learning environments must be made safe again.
