Donald Trump on Tuesday disclosed that he had considered launching a major military strike against Iran but decided to delay the action amid renewed hopes of reaching an agreement to end the conflict.
Trump explained that the planned offensive was suspended after appeals from Gulf Arab leaders, as tensions continued over fears of wider regional escalation if the United States and Israel resumed hostilities following a nearly six-week ceasefire.
The US president, who has repeatedly signaled his desire to distance Washington from the conflict due to growing political pressure at home, said he had prepared for a fresh military operation after Iran rejected terms earlier proposed by his administration.
According to Trump, leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates urged him to reconsider the attack because negotiations were gaining momentum.
The president made the disclosure on his Truth Social platform, writing that Gulf leaders appealed to him “to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, whichDonald Trump was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place.”
Despite pausing the operation, Trump stated that the US military had been directed to remain on standby in case talks collapsed.
“But Trump added he had instructed the US military to be ‘prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.’”
Speaking later during an event at the White House, Trump said diplomatic discussions appeared to be progressing positively, adding that regional allies believed an agreement could soon be achieved to ensure Iran did not possess nuclear weapons — an accusation Tehran has consistently denied.
“There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very happy,” Trump said.
Iran has repeatedly rejected proposals put forward by Washington and has maintained pressure through its control of the Strait of Hormuz, a critical oil shipping route whose instability has continued to shake global energy markets.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei confirmed that indirect communication with the United States was ongoing through Pakistan as a mediator, saying Tehran had conveyed its concerns.
Iran, which has continued operating despite the killing of its supreme leader during the opening strikes of the conflict on February 28, is demanding the release of frozen overseas assets, the removal of sanctions and compensation linked to the war.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said dialogue with Washington should not be interpreted as weakness.
“Speaking with Washington does not mean surrender,” Pezeshkian said, adding that Iran would continue to defend its “dignity” and rights.
Iran’s Fars news agency reported that the United States presented a five-point proposal that included limiting Iran to a single active nuclear facility and transferring its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the US.
The report also claimed Washington had refused to free “even 25 percent” of Iran’s frozen assets or agree to reparations.
However, Tasnim news agency, quoting a source close to Iran’s negotiating team, said the US had shown some flexibility by agreeing to suspend oil sanctions while talks continued.
Iran had earlier demanded an end to military operations across the region, including Israel’s actions in Lebanon, as well as the lifting of a US naval blockade imposed on Iranian ports since April 13.
Fars further reported that Tehran insisted it would retain authority over the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategic energy routes, which Iran has largely restricted since the conflict began.
