Latest

MAKINDE CONFIRMS ABDUCTION OF SEVEN TEACHERS IN OYO SCHOOL ATTACK

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Oriire area of the state, while authorities are still verifying the number of pupils currently unaccounted for.

The governor disclosed this on Sunday while speaking with journalists after meeting with service commanders and heads of security agencies over the incident.

Makinde also revealed that an Islamic Studies teacher lost his life during the attack carried out by suspected gunmen.

According to him, security operatives have so far arrested six suspects within the affected community as well as three additional persons of interest linked to the incident.

The governor said intelligence reports indicated that the attackers were likely fleeing intensified military operations against terrorists and bandits in parts of the North-West.

“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” Makinde said.

He noted that he had already been in discussions with authorities in neighbouring states over the growing threat posed by criminal groups relocating from conflict areas.

“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points,” he stated.

Makinde further disclosed that preliminary findings suggested some of those arrested may have provided information to the attackers from within the local communities.

“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” Makinde added.

The governor stressed that the state government would not depend solely on military action in responding to the crisis, adding that consultations were ongoing with traditional, religious and community leaders.

He explained that officials of the Baptist Convention were also being engaged because one of the affected schools belongs to the church.

“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” he said.

Makinde appealed to residents to remain calm, assuring families of the abducted victims that the government and security agencies were making efforts to secure their release.

“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” the governor assured.

Describing the situation as “very difficult and challenging,” Makinde announced that the state government would begin daily press briefings to keep the public informed about rescue efforts and security developments.