Latest

TINUBU CONFIRMS KILLING OF ISIS LEADER IN JOINT NIGERIA-US OPERATION

A major counterterrorism operation carried out by Nigerian and United States forces has led to the killing of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, a senior ISIS commander said to be among the group’s top global leaders.

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu confirmed the development in a statement issued on Saturday, describing the overnight mission as a significant breakthrough in ongoing efforts to combat terrorism.

The operation was first announced by United States President Donald Trump, who disclosed on his Truth Social platform late Friday that the ISIS figure, regarded as the organisation’s second-in-command globally, had been successfully taken out.

Trump said the mission was jointly executed by “brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria” and described the slain commander as “the most active terrorist in the world from the battlefield.”

According to the US President, Abu-Bilal al-Minuki had been hiding in Africa while directing terrorist activities connected to the Islamic State network.

“Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second in command of ISIS globally, thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing,” Trump wrote.

He stated further that the ISIS commander “will no longer terrorize the people of Africa, or help plan operations to target Americans,” adding that the terrorist group’s international operations had suffered a major setback.

“With his removal, ISIS’s global operation is greatly diminished,” Trump said.

The American President also acknowledged Nigeria’s role in the operation.

“Thank you to the Government of Nigeria for your partnership on this operation. GOD BLESS AMERICA!” he added.

Commenting on the operation, President Tinubu praised the partnership between both countries and the efforts of the military personnel involved.

“Our determined Nigerian Armed Forces, working closely with the Armed Forces of the United States, conducted a daring joint operation that dealt a heavy blow to the ranks of the Islamic State.

“Early assessments confirm the elimination of the wanted IS senior leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, also known as Abu-Mainok, along with several of his lieutenants, during a strike on his compound in the Lake Chad Basin”, Tinubu said.

The President also expressed appreciation to Trump for supporting the operation.

“I extend my sincere gratitude to President Trump for his leadership and unwavering support in this effort.

“I commend the personnel involved on both sides for their professionalism and courage, and I look forward to more decisive strikes against all terrorist enclaves across the nation”, Tinubu said.