The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission are investigating the utilisation of the ₦12 billion Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation for outstanding salaries, allowances, players’ bonuses and other obligations involving Nigeria’s national teams.
The investigation was disclosed by the NFF itself in a letter responding to a Freedom of Information request seeking financial records and utilisation logs relating to the intervention fund.
The letter, dated August 18, 2026, was signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the General Secretary of the NFF and addressed to the Principal Partner of Cromwell & Okeke.
It was in response to correspondence dated August 7, 2026, which the football federation said it received on August 11.
The NFF letter, with reference number NFF/LEG/10/1/879, was titled, “Re: Application for Disclosure of Financial Records and Utilisation Logs Regarding the N12 Billion Federal Government Intervention Fund Released for Players’ Wages and Bonuses.”
The federation said it was unable to make the requested documents available because the subject of the request was already being investigated by the EFCC and ICPC, with the relevant records before the two anti-corruption agencies.
“I am directed to refer to the above subject matter and your correspondence dated 7th August, 2026 but received on 11th August, 2026,” the NFF stated.
“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act are subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).”
The federation added: “Therefore, all documents relating to the request are before Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).”
The disclosure places the management and utilisation of the substantial intervention fund under the scrutiny of Nigeria’s two principal anti-corruption agencies.
However, the NFF did not disclose the precise transactions or aspects of the expenditure that prompted the investigations.
The federation also did not state when the EFCC and ICPC investigations commenced, whether any particular official was being investigated, whether anyone had been invited for questioning, or whether the agencies had made any findings concerning the funds.
There is therefore no indication from the NFF’s letter that wrongdoing has been established against any individual or official.
It was further reported that sources within the NFF claimed that a substantial portion of the fund was used to settle hotel accommodation expenses incurred in relation to players and national teams.
It was further reported that sources within the NFF claimed that a substantial portion of the fund was used to settle hotel accommodation expenses incurred in relation to players and national teams.
No detailed breakdown of those expenses was contained in the NFF’s response to the Freedom of Information request.
The intervention dates back to January 2024, when President Bola Tinubu approved the payment of ₦12 billion to clear outstanding financial obligations owed to Nigeria’s national sporting teams.
The Presidency announced at the time that the approval covered a backlog of salaries owed to coaches of the senior national football team, as well as allowances and other payments due to national teams.
“President @officialABAT has approved the payment of N12 billion outstanding backlog for Nigeria’s National teams of various sports, which includes Super Eagles and others,” the Presidency stated at the time.
It further explained that the money was intended to clear about 15 months of outstanding salaries owed to senior national team coaches as well as allowances and other obligations involving the senior men’s team, women’s national team and Under-20 national team.
