News

Police confirm Lakurawa attack kills 28 in Sokoto community

The Sokoto State Police Command has confirmed that 28 people were killed in an attack by suspected Lakurawa terrorists on Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of the state.

The attack reportedly occurred on Sunday evening, with the police saying the nature of the assault made it difficult to immediately determine the exact number of casualties.

The command’s spokesperson, DSP Ahmad Rufai, confirmed the death toll on Tuesday.
Local sources had earlier reported that the Chief Imam of Ungushi Izala Jumu’at Mosque, Imam Aliyu, was among those killed in the attack.

Meanwhile, the General Officer Commanding, 8 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Paul Kaughna, has visited the Forward Operating Base in Kebbe and surrounding communities as part of efforts to strengthen security in the area.

The visit was disclosed in a statement signed by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division, Nigerian Army/Sector 2 Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Olaniyi Osoba.

According to Osoba, the visit was aimed at assessing the security situation and responding to the growing threat posed by the Lakurawa terrorist group in Kebbe Local Government Area.

He said the GOC had also readjusted the Army’s security architecture to prevent further terrorist infiltration and protect vulnerable border communities between Sokoto and Kebbi states.

Osoba added that Major General Kaughna, while addressing residents, reaffirmed the Army’s determination to respond swiftly and decisively to emerging security threats.

He said the Army would continue its operations to ensure that terrorist elements are denied safe havens in the affected communities and surrounding areas.