featured

Again! Court Remands 3 Suspected Firearms Smugglers

Justice Friday Ogazi of a Federal High Court, today ordered the remand of three persons, who were arrested by the operatives of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) in connection with some pump action rifles unlawfully brought onto Nigeria.

The three suspects firearms smugglers, Kenneth Mbonu, Kenneth Agwu and Choima Onuoha, according to the judge are to be remanded in the Nigerian Correctional Services NCoS untill September 1, 2026.

The firearms were concealed in a Container marked TEMU 184536/9, which arrived aboard MV VELIKA on July 8, 2026.

It would be recalled the judge had earlier ordered the remand of two suspects, Ejiogu Godson and Revert Eze, in relation with the smuggled firearms. 

In urging the court to remand the three suspects, the Customs through its lawyers, Mr. David Ereh and Mrs. Kehinde Bode-Ayeni, told the court the motion Exparte was pursuant to sections 294 and 295 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015; Sections 6 of the Nigeria Customs Service Act 2023; Sections 6 (6), 35 (1) (C), (5) & (7)(a} of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) and Order 46 Rule 4(d) of the Federal High Court Rules.

In the application, the Customs had asked the court for an order permitting the remand of the suspects in the custody of its Enforcement Unit at Tin Can Island Port, Apapa, Lagos, pending the conclusion of investigations and possible prosecution.

The Customs said one of the grounds of the application, was that the investigation could not be completed within the constitutionally permitted 24 or 48 hours, while the alleged offences are indictable and within the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court.

The lawywrs also stated that the suspects would need to be prosecuted at the conclusion of investigations by the Legal Unit of the Tin Can Island Area Command.

In an affidavit filed in support of the application, deposed to by a Litigation Officer N. Akpan, said the matter began after officers of the Customs Enforcement Unit received credible intelligence concerning a container with number TEMU 184536/9.

He averred that officers were detailed by the Customs Area Controller on July 8, 2026, to monitor the container. And that when the container was examined on July 13, 2026, arms and ammunition were allegedly discovered concealed inside it.

He averred further that the discovery led to the arrest of the three defendants and further investigation into the alleged unlawful importation.

The deponent further alleged that the suspects provided information about other accomplices involved in the alleged forgery and manipulation of customs records and documents used to facilitate the unlawful removal of the container.

He averred that Customs operatives were currently trailing the other suspects and intensifying efforts to apprehend them. Adding that the defendants had made statements under caution, which Customs described as voluntary and confessional.

He argued that releasing the suspects could jeopardise the investigation, alleging that they might assist other suspects to evade arrest or interfere with the recovery of evidence.

The Customs therefore urged the court to grant the 15-day remand order, arguing that it would enable investigators to complete the probe thoroughly and speedily in the public interest.

Justice Ogazi in his ruling after listening to the submissions Customs’ lawyers, ordered that the three defendants be remanded in the custody of the Nigerian Correctional Services NCoS for 15 days.

The judge thereafter adjourned the matter to September 1, for report or possible arrraignment of the suspects.