Reports

Kaduna Govt Dismisses Reports of Imminent Kangimi Dam Collapse

The Kaduna State Government has dismissed reports suggesting that Kangimi Dam in Igabi Local Government Area is on the verge of collapse, describing the claims as misleading and based on outdated information.

Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Public Works and Infrastructure, Alhaji Ashiru Abdu Na Abdu, said in a statement on Friday that the dam remains intact and functional.

He said the government was aware of growing public concern following the recent flood advisory by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, which listed Kaduna among states at risk of flooding.

Na Abdu, however, urged residents to rely on official and verified information, warning that unconfirmed reports could create unnecessary fear.

According to him, photographs and claims currently circulating on social media relate to structural concerns observed at the dam between 2015 and 2016.

He explained that the issues at the time were linked to ageing infrastructure and pressure from heavy rainfall, prompting the state government to carry out emergency remedial works.

The intervention, he said, helped stabilise the dam and ensured that it remained operational.

“Over the years, Kangimi Dam has been under routine monitoring and minimal maintenance by the ministry,” Na Abdu said.

He added that there was no current evidence of active structural failure at the facility.

The permanent secretary disclosed that the government was also taking steps to strengthen safety and monitoring around the dam through the procurement of modern equipment.

The planned installations include automated water-level gauges, early warning sirens and telemetry systems for continuous monitoring.

Na Abdu said while the state government was taking NiMet’s flood warning seriously, there was no basis for claims that the dam was facing imminent collapse.

He stressed that reports relying on developments from 2015 and 2016 did not accurately reflect the present condition of the facility.

He also appealed to media organisations, civil society groups and members of the public to verify information with relevant government agencies before circulating reports capable of causing panic.

Na Abdu said a joint technical inspection of the dam by officials of the Federal Ministry of Water Resources and Sanitation and the Kaduna State Government had been scheduled for August.

He added that arrangements were ongoing for the full rehabilitation of the dam and the installation of additional safety equipment, with the necessary budgetary process already underway.

The state government, according to him, is also working with the National Emergency Management Agency and the Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency on community sensitisation.

Residents living downstream of the dam were advised to remain calm but vigilant and to report any unusual development to the appropriate authorities.

“Prevention is better than cure, but the truth must lead the way,” Na Abdu said.