The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has prayed the Federal High Court, Lagos, to dismiss the bail applications filed by seven Nigerians and three Mexicans accused of operating a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory concealed in a forest in Ogun State.
The defendants are: Anochili Innocent, Juan Carlos Meza Torrero, Nemecio Martinez Felix, Jesus Lopez Valles, Nwankwo Sunday Christian, Egwuonwu Uchenna Victor, Igwe Abuchi Remijus, Ifeanyichukwu Chibuike Joshua, Omonughwa Kingsley Orike and Emeka Christopher Nwobum.
At the resumed proceedings on Thursday, counsel to the defendants, Chief Benson Ndakara, urged the presiding judge, Justice Akintayo Aluko, to admit his clients to bail, arguing that their continued detention in a correctional facility affected their fundamental rights.
Chief Ndakara argued that he approach the vacation court because of the urgency of the bail application and added that the prosecution had been served with the motion and had filed its response.
In the affidavit supporting the application, the defendants’ lawyer argued that the first defendant had been unjustifiably detained because no hard drugs were allegedly found on him.
The lawyer also maintained that his clients were presumed innocent until proven guilty and claimed that their presence at the alleged laboratory was connected with plans to establish a poultry, piggery and alcoholic wine manufacturing business.
He further stated that the offences were bailable and expressed readiness to provide reliable sureties. While also cited alleged ill-health suffered by some of the defendants.
He therefore prayed the court to admit his clients to bail to enable them obtain appropriate medical attention.
Responding to the defendants’ application, NDLEA counsel, Buhari Abdullahi, vehemently opposed the application, arguing that there was no exceptional urgency warranting the vacation court’s intervention.
Abdullahi told the court that the defendants had already been charged before Justice Musa Kakaki of the the same court, Lagos, where they had been arraigned, taken their pleas and had the matter ordered for accelerated hearing.
He said the prosecution had already called its first witness.
The NDLEA counsel described the defendants as flight risks, stressing that granting them bail could result in their jumping bail and frustrating the trial.
He disclosed that three of the defendants are Mexican nationals, while the first defendant allegedly holds Nigerian and Mexican citizenship.
On the health concerns, Abdullahi argued that the applicants had not established that their conditions were beyond the capacity of the medical facilities available at the correctional centre.
The prosecutor further submitted that the charge arose from the activities of an organised transnational network allegedly involved in the illicit production and trafficking of methamphetamine, as well as the acquisition and transportation of precursor chemicals.
He said investigations showed that the clandestine laboratory located at Iloti Village, Ogun State, was allegedly owned, financed and sponsored by the first defendant and specifically equipped for methamphetamine production.
According to him, various equipment, apparatus, chemicals and materials allegedly associated with the production of controlled substances were recovered from the facility, including Propyl-2-Propanone (P2P), described as a major precursor for methamphetamine production.
Abdullahi urged the court to dismiss the defendants’ bail applications.
After listening to the arguments of both parties, Justice Aluko adjourned to September 2, 2026, to ruling on the bail applications.
The defendants are facing an 11-count charge in Suit No. FHC/CR/430/2026, in which the NDLEA alleges that they conspired to produce and possess 2,419.48 kilogrammes of methamphetamine.
The agency also accused them of transporting precursor chemicals, including toluene, P2P, phenylacetic acid, acetone and hydrochloric acid, to the alleged forest laboratory.
The prosecution said substantial quantities of the chemicals, including 358 kilogrammes of toluene, 1,834 kilogrammes of hydrochloric acid and 22.5 kilogrammes of acetone, were recovered.
