Nigeria’s maritime industry has recorded a major boost after the United States Coast Guard (USCG) removed the Condition of Entry (CoE) previously imposed on vessels arriving in the US from Nigeria.
The Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Dr Adegboyega Oyetola, described the development as a major milestone in the Federal Government’s efforts to strengthen maritime security and make Nigerian ports more competitive.
The restriction had been in place since June 25, 2014. It required vessels heading to the United States to undergo additional security checks if they had visited designated Nigerian ports among their previous five port calls.
US Coast Guard assessments paved way for removal
According to Oyetola, the lifting of the restriction demonstrates the progress Nigeria has made in improving maritime security and enforcing the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code across its ports and maritime facilities.
He said the achievement followed sustained efforts by the Federal Ministry of Marine and Blue Economy through the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA).
The ministry and NIMASA worked with government agencies, port and terminal operators, shipping companies and other industry stakeholders to address identified security gaps.
Their efforts focused on strengthening Nigeria’s maritime security system and demonstrating continued compliance with internationally recognised standards.
The US Coast Guard carried out four comprehensive assessments of Nigeria’s maritime security framework and port facilities over the past two years.
The assessments took place from March 11 to 13, 2024; April 15 to 19, 2024; March 15 to 21, 2025; and April 13 to 17, 2026.
The results showed substantial improvements in Nigeria’s maritime security performance and implementation of the ISPS Code.
Oyetola said these improvements ultimately contributed to the US decision to withdraw the Condition of Entry.
“The lifting of the Conditions of Entry is a major milestone for Nigeria’s maritime sector. It is a strong affirmation of the progress we have made in strengthening maritime security and implementing the ISPS Code across our ports and facilities. We are committed to sustaining this momentum and ensuring that Nigeria remains a safe, secure and competitive destination for international shipping,” he said.
The minister also praised NIMASA Director-General, Dr Dayo Mobereola, and his team for their role in achieving the development.
He said the decision demonstrates the benefits of effective regulation, cooperation among stakeholders and sustained investment in maritime security.
Removal expected to boost Nigerian ports
Beyond security concerns, the lifting of the restriction could have wider economic implications for Nigeria’s maritime industry.
Oyetola said the development could improve the efficiency and competitiveness of Nigerian ports while strengthening the country’s role in the global maritime economy.
The removal of the additional requirements is expected to reduce vessel turnaround times and improve shipping schedule reliability.
It could also lower costs linked to extra documentation, inspections, security arrangements and delays associated with entry into US waters.
The development is further expected to improve the attractiveness of Nigerian ports to international shipping companies.
Increased shipping activity could translate into higher trade volumes, greater investment, more employment opportunities and increased revenue for port operators and government agencies.
For over a decade, vessels operating between Nigeria and the United States had faced additional security and operational requirements under the CoE.
The measures increased operating and security costs for shipping companies and subjected vessels to additional inspections and documentation.
They also contributed to delays in vessel turnaround and increased freight and insurance expenses.
The restrictions had equally raised concerns over the competitiveness of Nigerian ports and their reputation among international shipping operators.
With the CoE now lifted, vessels that call at Nigerian ports before proceeding to the United States will no longer face the additional USCG security requirements specifically imposed under the restriction.
