Reports

NDC screens, clears Peter Obi as sole presidential aspirant

The National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has cleared Peter Obi as the party’s sole presidential aspirant ahead of its forthcoming primaries.

Obi arrived at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja at about 6:45pm on Tuesday alongside Victor Umeh, the senator representing Anambra Central.

The former Anambra State governor was subsequently screened by the committee chaired by former Minister of Education, Sam Egwu.

Speaking after the screening, Egwu said the panel was satisfied with Obi’s performance, stating that he responded adequately to all questions asked by members of the committee.

“This is to certify that following the screening of the presidential aspirant of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), His Excellency Peter Obi, and being satisfied that he has complied with all the requirements of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and all provisions of the Electoral Act, and the satisfactory answers given by him to all the questions from members of the national screening committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on a date to be announced by the party. Congratulations,” Egwu said.

He subsequently presented Obi with an official clearance letter alongside the party’s nomination form numbered 001.

Obi had earlier obtained the NDC presidential nomination and expression of interest forms on Sunday, May 17, which was initially the deadline set by the party for aspirants to purchase forms.

The party later announced an extension of the deadline to May 24 to allow more aspirants obtain nomination forms. It also stated that the submission of completed forms by screened and cleared aspirants would begin on Wednesday, May 20, and end on May 26.

However, the NDC clarified that the deadline for the purchase of presidential nomination forms would not be extended, noting that the process had already closed.