Reports

Delta Govt Speaks on Omo-Agege’s Assassination Claims

The Delta State Government has dismissed allegations by former Deputy Senate President Ovie Omo-Agege that his life and those of his family members are under threat from Government House, Asaba.

The state Commissioner for Works (Rural Roads) and Public Information, Charles Aniagwu, said the claims were baseless and politically motivated.

Omo-Agege had asked the Nigerian public, the international community, civil society organisations, the media and security agencies to take note of what he described as “disturbing and increasingly credible threats” to him and his family.

But speaking on Arise Television’s The Morning Show on Sunday, Aniagwu said the former senator was using the allegation to draw attention to himself ahead of the 2027 general election.

Aniagwu said Omo-Agege should instead explain his plans for Delta Central Senatorial District, where he is seeking election to the Senate.

He said Governor Sheriff Oborevwori is seeking re-election as governor, while Omo-Agege is contesting for the Delta Central Senate seat, adding that both men are not on the same ballot.

“On the first day of campaigning, instead of telling the people what you want to do to be able to win the Delta Central senatorial seat, you are alleging that somebody who is not on the same ballot with you is thinking of eliminating you,” Aniagwu said.

The commissioner said the governor does not make threats and pointed to what he described as the security and tranquillity recorded in the state during the administration’s three and a half years in office.

Ovie Omo-Agege

According to him, the government would not be drawn into personal attacks as campaigns gather momentum.

He said Oborevwori would seek re-election on the basis of the administration’s performance, rather than promises, insisting that the government would present its projects and programmes to voters across the state.

“Our campaign ahead of the 2027 general elections is going to be evidence-based,” Aniagwu said. “We will be showcasing what we have done, what constitutes our report card.”

Aniagwu also said ongoing development projects would be highlighted in communities across the state, including Omo-Agege’s area.

He cited the Emevor-Orogun Road, which he said is a 15.7-kilometre project linking rural communities. He said more than eight kilometres had been completed under the first and second phases, while work was progressing under a third phase.

The commissioner did not announce a separate state investigation into the allegation during the interview.

The commissioner maintained that the Oborevwori administration was focused on development across Delta without regard to political affiliation.

He said the governor’s priority was to deliver projects that improve the lives of residents, rather than engage in what he called a “mud fight.”

The allegation and the government’s response come as political activities begin to build in Delta ahead of the 2027 elections.

Omo-Agege, who was the All Progressives Congress governorship candidate in Delta in 2023, is now seeking to represent Delta Central in the Senate. Oborevwori, who defeated him in the 2023 governorship election, is seeking another term as governor.

The state government said it would continue to support security agencies and pursue infrastructure and other development programmes while allowing its record in office to speak for it.