Reports

2027: Vote Tinubu or Lose Federal Projects – Umahi Warns South-East

The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has called on South-East voters to massively support President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election, warning that the region risks losing key federal infrastructure projects if it fails to align politically with the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.

Umahi made the remarks on Wednesday during an inspection of ongoing federal road and bridge projects in Ebonyi State.

The minister said the current administration had committed huge resources to infrastructure development across the South-East in a way no previous government had done.

Speaking during the tour, Umahi pointed to several ongoing projects as evidence of the Federal Government’s commitment to the region. He particularly highlighted the Calabar–Ebonyi–Benue–Nasarawa–Abuja Superhighway, describing it as one of the signature projects of the Tinubu administration.

According to him, the section stretching from Ndibe Beach in Ebonyi State to the Ebonyi–Benue boundary spans about 123 kilometres. He said the road is being constructed with reinforced concrete pavement and fitted with solar-powered streetlights at a cost estimated at over N450 billion.

The minister disclosed that the Federal Government had already released 50 per cent of the funding for the project, adding that plans were also underway for the dualisation of some sections considered critical to movement and economic activities.

Umahi further explained that another section of the corridor, extending from the Ebonyi–Benue boundary through parts of Benue, Kogi and Nasarawa states to the Oweto Bridge axis, covers about 178 kilometres with a contract value put at N685 billion.

While admitting that contractors handling some federal projects were facing funding difficulties, the former Ebonyi governor maintained that President Tinubu had assured the ministry that outstanding payments would be settled.

“The President has assured us that all contractors owed will be paid. Today, there is hardly any state in Nigeria without a construction site under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” Umahi said.

The minister, however, tied continued federal attention to political support for the APC ahead of the next general election.

“Last time, Afikpo people did not vote for APC. If they want this bridge completed, I will require 100 per cent of the votes. I am not asking for 99 per cent,” he stated.

Umahi insisted that projects of such scale could only be delivered through strong federal backing. He argued that previous political leaders merely used some of the projects as campaign promises without execution.

“Only President Bola Ahmed Tinubu can build these roads and bridges. Past politicians used this bridge as campaign promises, but this President came and started the work without making noise about it,” he added.

The minister also dismissed claims that the South-East was being sidelined under the current administration. According to him, the appointment of an Igbo man as Minister of Works and the spread of projects across the region showed that the zone had regained relevance at the national level.

“We shouted marginalisation before, but today no ministry is bigger than the Ministry of Works, and it is being headed by an Igbo man. The President has integrated the South-East into the mainstream of Nigerian politics,” Umahi said.

He urged political leaders in the region to openly defend the Tinubu administration and educate residents on what he described as the achievements of the government in infrastructure, security, healthcare and youth empowerment.

“I challenge all leaders supporting the President to speak out openly. Our people need to hear the truth about what this administration is doing in the South-East,” he stated.

Umahi also projected that significant portions of the ongoing projects would be completed before the end of the year. He appealed to South-East voters not to approach the 2027 election with sentiment.

“This election is not lottery. Presidency is not won by sentiments but by strategic planning. We must support the President to complete these projects and secure greater opportunities for the South-East,” he said.

The minister further declared that Ebonyi State would deliver overwhelming support for Tinubu in the next election.

“We will shock the nation in Ebonyi State because we will deliver 95 per cent of our votes to President Tinubu. The last election outcome was an accident of history and it will not repeat itself,” Umahi declared.