The Sultanate Council in Sokoto has dismissed as false a viral video circulating on social media which allegedly shows a protest against the Sultan of Sokoto, His Eminence, over the prevailing economic hardship in the country.
The council said the footage being shared online was not recent and had been deliberately taken out of context to mislead members of the public.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the Public Relations Officer of the Sultanate Council, Sokoto, Aminu Haliru Gidadawa, clarified that the video was recorded in 2024 during nationwide demonstrations triggered by the soaring cost of food items.
He stressed that the Sultan had no connection with partisan politics and could not be linked to the narrative being promoted by some social media users.
“The video is not recent. It is a false narrative. The footage was recorded way back in 2024 due to rising cost of food items during nationwide demonstrations and the Sultan does not participate in partisan politics,” Gidadawa said.
“It is being shared out of context to mislead the public.”
The council maintained that the position of the Sultan on issues affecting Nigerians had remained unchanged.
According to the statement, the Sultan had consistently expressed concern over the hardship faced by citizens and continued to advocate measures aimed at improving their welfare.
“His Eminence’s position then and now has been consistent. He was not in support of the hardship affecting the public and has continued to advocate for measures to address it,” the statement added.
The council also dismissed reports suggesting unrest around the Sultan’s Palace, insisting that normal activities were ongoing without any disturbance.
“There is calm at the palace. The atmosphere remains peaceful as it always has been. There are no protests, disturbances, or unrest taking place at the palace or its environs,” Gidadawa stated.
The Sultanate Council urged Nigerians to verify information before sharing it on social media, warning that the circulation of old content as current events was capable of creating unnecessary tension.
It added that such misinformation served no public interest and could distract attention from ongoing efforts aimed at improving food security and public welfare across the country.
