News

IGP fumes as NPF dismisses officers in Rivers, Ekiti

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has dismissed six (6) officers in Rivers and Ekiti states, even as the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, on Friday declared that the “era of impunity is over” in the force.

TheNewsGuru (TNG) reports the Police Command in Rivers dismissed five inspectors attached to the Department of Operations over alleged involvement in armed robbery, kidnapping, extortion and conspiracy.

The Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Anthony Placid, made the disclosure in a statement in Port Harcourt on Friday by the command’s spokesperson, ASP Blessing Agabe.

Placid said that the officers were involved in a pattern of criminal activities between September 2025 and January 2026 across the state.

The force spokesman listed the dismissed officers as John Okoi, Eyibo Asuquo, Udo Ndipmong, Bright Nwachukwu and Anele Ikechukwu

According to him, the case became known following petitions submitted by a group, the Behind Bars Human Rights Foundation on behalf of multiple victims.

He explained that the officers allegedly operated in minibuses and conducted illegal stop-and-search operations during which unsuspecting members of the public were intercepted at gunpoint.

“The officers forced victims to disclose their banking pass codes and account details. They forcefully transferred money from their victims’ bank accounts.

“They also falsely presented themselves as operatives of Zone 16 Headquarters, Yenagoa, in order to intimidate victims and evade suspicion,” he said.

He stated that investigations further revealed that the syndicate allegedly abducted a male victim along Aba Road and forcefully dispossessed him of over N3.6 million and 4,000 dollars from his cryptocurrency wallet.

Advertisement

Another victim, he said, was allegedly abducted and dispossessed of over N7.3 million in cash and valuables, while a third victim reportedly lost N1.5 million after being intercepted along NTA Road.

“After the officers were arrested, an orderly room proceeding found them culpable, leading to their dismissal from the Nigerian Police Force with immediate effect.

“A prima facie case of conspiracy, armed robbery, kidnapping, official corruption and extortion has been established against the dismissed officers,” he stated.

The police spokesman added that the case file had been forwarded to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, while formal charges were expected to be filled within 30 days.

He reaffirmed the commitment of the police to professionalism, accountability, transparency and protection of citizens’ rights.

Police dismiss officer in Ekiti over misconduct

Similarly, the Police Command in Ekiti has dismissed a police sergeant, Osayingbemi Temitope, over his involvement in an incident linked to illicit drug use.

The command’s spokesperson, SP Sunday Abutu, disclosed this in a statement issued in Ado-Ekiti on Friday.

Abutu said the officer was captured in a viral video “behaving erratically” at Ikole-Ekiti on May 9, after allegedly consuming illicit substances.

He explained that the officer was immediately subjected to medical and psychological evaluations as well as internal disciplinary procedures.

He disclosed that the psychological assessment confirmed that the officer was emotionally stable, while the medical test revealed traces of tobacco and amphetamine in his system.

“During further enquiries, the officer confessed to having taken some illicit drugs,” Abutu said.

The command’s spokesperson stated that the disciplinary procedures had been concluded and the officer found culpable of misconduct.

“He was recommended for dismissal and the recommendation was upheld. The Command hereby confirms his dismissal with immediate effect,” he said.

Abutu reiterated that the police remained a disciplined organisation that would not condone acts of indiscipline, unprofessional conduct or any behaviour capable of tarnishing the image of the Force.

He added that the Commissioner of Police in the state, Falade Micheal, charged officers and men of the command to uphold discipline, professionalism, accountability and integrity in the discharge of their duties.

IGP warns police officers against misconduct, abuse of power

Meanwhile, the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, on Friday declared that the “era of impunity is over” in the Nigeria Police Force.

He warned officers against misconduct, abuse of power and unprofessional behaviour capable of bringing the force into disrepute nationwide.

Disu gave the warning in Benin during an official visit to the Police Command in Edo, where he addressed officers on discipline, professionalism and accountability in policing.

The IGP referenced recent incidents involving alleged police misconduct, including the killing of a suspect in Delta and extortion allegations against officers in Port Harcourt.

He condemned the alleged shooting of a suspect after the individual had already been apprehended by civilians and handed over to police officers.

“Is that what we are taught in the academy? Is that what they taught us in college?”. How did you feel after that policeman disgraced all of us?.

“You felt bad about it. You felt it was difficult for you to put on your uniform after that,” he added.

Disu said that officers involved in the incident had been recommended for dismissal, while the Police Service Commission had already approved the recommendation.

According to him, the case file has been forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions for further legal action and prosecution.

The IGP also said that officers arrested in Port Harcourt for allegedly extorting residents had equally been recommended for dismissal from the police force.

“They started moving around town, arresting everybody arbitrarily and finally collecting their money from ATMs. They have all been recommended for dismissal,” the police chief added.

Disu said the force was determined to build a new Nigeria Police Force founded on professionalism, discipline and public trust.

“I know I cannot do it alone. That is why I’ve come to talk to you so that all of us will be on the same page,” he said.

He maintained that Nigerian police officers possessed the capacity to rank among the best globally if they embraced professionalism and accountability in service delivery.

“Are you happy the way the Nigerian Police have been rated?. I know you and I can do better. I know the stuff with which all of you are made.

“I know we qualify to be the best police in Africa. We are qualified to be the best in the world if we want to do it,” he added.

The IGP, however, commended officers for their sacrifices and contributions toward maintaining peace and national security across the country.

“It is not all bad. Officers, you have been wonderful. You have been the ones who have kept the country together as it is today,” he said.

Earlier, the Commissioner of Police in Edo, Monday Agbonika, said the command had intensified intelligence-led policing and operations against criminal elements across the state.

Agbonika said the command had recorded successes against kidnapping, armed robbery and cult-related crimes through the activities of the Violent Crime Response Units.

He appealed for more operational support, including arms, ammunition, armoured personnel carriers and additional manpower to strengthen security operations statewide.