Gunmen have abducted an unspecified number of Muslim worshippers in several communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State.
The incident reportedly occurred on Friday shortly after the conclusion of the weekly Juma’at prayer at the central mosque in Dekara community.
According to security sources and eyewitnesses cited by counter-insurgency publication Zagazola Makama, the attackers also abducted worshippers in Gidan Zana, Masaka and Sabon Gida communities.
Among those reportedly abducted was the 90-year-old father of the district head of Dekara.
The Niger State Police Public Relations Officer, Wasiu Abiodun, confirmed the incident, saying security agencies had mobilised personnel to rescue the victims and apprehend the attackers.
Abiodun said no death had been recorded in the incident, adding that efforts were ongoing to locate the abducted worshippers.
He, however, said difficult terrain and poor road conditions were hampering the movement of security personnel to the affected communities.
According to him, a collapsed bridge linking the communities to the Borgu Local Government Area headquarters had further delayed the deployment of security forces and the rescue operation.
The police spokesman said security agencies were working to overcome the logistical challenges and intensify the search for the victims.
