As Perez Hilton focuses on his recovery, his family is stepping in to provide stability for his three young children. The blogger’s mother has reportedly been granted temporary custody, though Hilton has not been cut off from his kids and is allowed supervised visits. The arrangement comes amid a challenging period for the celebrity blogger as he works toward recovery and his family rallies around him.
Perez Hilton, born Mario Armando Lavandeira Jr., remains hospitalized following his suicide attempt on August 4. As The Blast previously reported, the celebrity blogger’s family is stepping in to care for Hilton’s three children, 13-year-old Mario, 11-year-old Mia, and 8-year-old Mayte. His mother, Teresita Lavandeira, filed for temporary custody of the kids, which his son consented to.
A judge has granted the request, and Teresita is now in charge of doing “all things necessary for the care” of her grandchildren. Per Us Magazine, the ruling highlighted that Hilton remains the children’s legal parent, and the arrangement with Teresita is temporary.
“[Teresita] shall have authority to consent to all necessary and reasonable medical and dental care for the children, including nonemergency surgery and psychiatric care,” the ruling noted. Furthermore, Hilton’s mother will be responsible for decisions regarding the kids’ schooling.
The Blogger Is Allowed To See His Kids Under Certain Conditions
The temporary custody agreement allows Hilton’s children to visit him while he remains in treatment, provided certain conditions are met.
The visits must be supervised by either a therapist or a member of Hilton’s family until further notice. In addition, Perez must receive clearance from a psychiatrist before any visitation can take place, with the conditions intended to ensure that the meetings are in the best interest of both the blogger and his children.
Perez Hilton Relocated To Florida To Be Closer To Family
3Hilton, his mother, and his three children lived in Las Vegas for about four years before they moved back to Miami, where the blogger was born and raised, in June.
The decision to move back to his hometown came after Hilton’s health scare, during which he battled sepsis and spent three weeks in the hospital. Following a spiritual awakening, Perez wanted to be closer to his family so that he and his children could have a strong support system around them.
The blogger shared that his children were excited about their relocation and getting to spend more time with family, but later admitted that it took a bit of time to get used to their new surroundings.
The Internet Personality’s Children Were At Home When He Went Live
Hilton’s sister, Barbara, recounted theevents leading up to her brother’s suicide attempt. Barbara grew concerned after Hilton locked himself in his bedroom and wouldn’t respond to her calls.
She was able to get into the room and found Hilton covered in blood in the bathroom. Barbara immediately gathered her brother’s three children and ushered them outside and into the car. She then called 911 and contacted her best friend, who took the children away so they wouldn’t have to witness their father’s crisis.
As The Blast previously reported, the family released a statement following the incident and said they are prioritizing the children and making sure they have a “sense of security and normalcy.”
Perez Hilton Continues His Inpatient Recovery
3Hilton’s family has been sharing updates via the blogger’s website. The family said Hilton is still undergoing treatment “in an inpatient setting under the dedicated team of medical and mental health professionals.”
It isn’t clear when the blogger will be cleared for discharge, as he continues to focus on his physical and mental well-being while receiving treatment.
Meanwhile, his team has stepped in to run his website, which has resumed publishing celebrity stories after a brief hiatus following his hospitalization. “For now, Perez’s health remains the priority as his team keeps the site active and moving forward,” Hilton’s family said.
