Headlines

North-West Security Summit:  Sani, Badaru, experts proffer solutions to insecurity

By Hussaina Yakubu

‎Gov. Uba Sani of Kaduna State has called for an integrated security framework combining Military operations, community engagements and long-term development to tackle insecurity in the North-West.

‎Sani made the call on Saturday in Kaduna at the Public Hearing of the North-West Zonal Security Summit organised by the Senate Ad hoc Committee on National Security.

‎The Governor advocated the creation of a North-West Theatre Command, which would place the Nigerian Army’s 1st and 8th Divisions under a unified structure.

‎According to him, such a command would strengthen intelligence-sharing, improve coordinated operations and help dismantle cross-state criminal networks.

‎Sani also urged the Federal Government to strengthen regional collaboration by expanding the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) to cover Nigeria’s border with the Niger Republic.

‎The governor said that the measure would disrupt arms trafficking routes and deny criminals cross-border sanctuaries.

‎He, however, stressed that military force alone was not sufficient in combating insecurity, noting that community trust remained critical.

‎The governor proposed the establishment of permanent State and Local Government Security Committees, comprising traditional rulers, religious leaders, women and youth groups, civil society and security agencies.

‎He reiterated his call for the creation of State Police, saying the country’s centralised policing structure was overstretched and unable to effectively secure a population of more than 230 million.

‎Earlier, the Minister of Defence, Alhaji Mohammed Badaru, reaffirmed President Bola Tinubu’s commitment to ending insecurity in the country.

‎Badaru said the recent joint operations across Kaduna, Zamfara, Katsina, Sokoto and Kebbi, had reopened major routes, improved movement and boosted economic activities in markets previously affected by insecurity.

‎He added that many hitheto displaced communities had returned to their homes, while several schools earlier shut down due to insecurity had resumed academic activities under better protection.

‎The minister, however, acknowledged that banditry, terror cells and organised criminal groups were still posing significant threats in the region.

‎In his keynote presentation, Prof. Muhammad Isa of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, said existing security strategies had failed due to fragmentation, poor coordination, overstretched security institutions and weak intelligence systems.

‎He stated that temporary tactical gains were not translating into lasting peace because the structural drivers of insecurity remained unaddressed.

‎Isa called for a comprehensive regional collaboration mechanism capable of harmonising strategies, integrating multiple actors and addressing both immediate threats and long-term developmental challenges.

‎Earlier, the Chairman of the Organising Committee, Sen. Babangida Hussaini, said the summit was convened to enable stakeholders in the North-West deliberate on the rising insecurity in the zone.

‎He said a National Security Summit would be held in Abuja on Monday to collate nationwide perspectives on pathways to securing the country.

‎Hussaini commended Sani for his support towards the successful hosting of the summit, describing it as unprecedented.