Lady dies after drinking insecticide in Lagos

Lilian Nwarache, 39, died on Friday in the Iwaya neighborhood of Lagos State after consuming pesticide, according to the Lagos State Police Command. It was said that she felt irritated by her condition.

Nwarache reportedly had a long-term ailment and had been going to a church in Iwaya to seek a cure. On November 3, 2023, he reportedly got fed up with the illness and drank the entire bottle of pesticide.

After consuming the insecticide, she was said to have attempted to leap into a canal, but onlookers stopped her, and she was taken to a hospital where a doctor pronounced her dead.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, said three passports belonging to the deceased were found in her bag, alongside her Samsung phone.

He said, “It was reported on Friday, around 2 pm, at the Sabo police station, that a woman, 39-year-old, with an unknown address, committed suicide.

“She had been having a protracted illness and visited a church for prayers.

 “But while in the frustrating condition, she drank a full bottle of a popular brand of insecticide and was making frantic efforts to jump into the canal.

“She was prevented and rushed to the health centre Iwaya where she was confirmed dead by a medical doctor on duty.”

“Detectives were immediately sent to the scene. Photographs were taken, the insecticide plastic containing little content, her three passports and one Samsung phone were recovered in her small bag.”

Hundeyin disclosed that efforts were in progress to contact her family members, while her corpse had been deposited at the Lagos Mainland Hospital Mortuary for an autopsy.

Her corpse has been removed and deposited at the Lagos Mainland Hospital Mortuary for preservation and autopsy.

“Efforts are in progress to contact her family members and preliminary investigation is also in progress,” he added.