Politics

‘Content Creation’ – Presidency Dismisses Obi’s Campaign Kick-off

The Presidency has dismissed the formal kick-off of Peter Obi’s 2027 presidential campaign, describing the former Anambra State governor’s address as a “content creation press conference” filled with rhetoric and unconvincing statements.

Daniel Bwala, Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Policy Communication, made the remark in a post on X.

Bwala accused Obi of failing to use the opportunity to clearly present his vision and mission to Nigerians, while criticising the media coverage of the event.

“One candidate just did a world content creation press conference with empty rhetorics and unconvincing statements speaking to few recognizable media outlets and many unrecognizable fake news ‘tags on the mics,’” Bwala wrote.

He added, “He missed the opportunity to define his vision and mission; he was sounding like he is INEC setting the rules of engagement.”

Bwala further stated, “The truth is you cannot give what you don’t have.”

According to Bwala, “To them everything is about content creation.”

Bwala accused Obi of failing to use the opportunity to clearly present his vision and mission to Nigerians. Credit: X/BwalaDaniel

Obi had earlier formally announced the commencement of his campaign for the 2027 presidential election, saying his decision to contest was driven by the need to address the difficulties facing Nigerians.

In a live broadcast on Friday, the former governor said he considered himself one of those seeking the presidency to solve the country’s pressing problems and insisted that Nigeria must work.

“I consider myself to be among those contesting to address the challenges Nigeria is currently facing. I join this contest with one firm conviction: Nigeria must work,” Obi said.

He said the 2027 election should be determined by the qualities and ability of candidates rather than religious or ethnic considerations.

“The 2017 election must be guided by competence, capacity, compassion, character and commitment,” Obi said.

“Our campaign will focus on the urgent concerns of Nigerians and not on ethnicity or religion. Nigerians must reject and disregard any campaign driven by propaganda, ethnicity, religion or cronyism,” he added.

Obi also said he and members of his campaign team would travel across the country to meet Nigerians, listen to their concerns and use their experiences to shape his plans for the country.

“As my team and I travel across the country, we will listen to Nigerians, understand their needs and concerns, and assure them that we have the competence, character and compassion to lead and reset Nigeria for the benefit of all,” he said.

According to him, Nigerians need leaders who can listen to citizens and provide practical solutions to problems such as insecurity, poverty, hunger, poor education and inadequate healthcare.

“Nigeria deserves leaders who will engage with them, listen to their concerns and present clear solutions to unite the country, defeat insecurity, lift people out of poverty, drastically reduce hunger and the number of out-of-school children, improve education and healthcare, and build growth that serves everyone, especially the most vulnerable,” Obi said.

Obi’s decision to make national issues central to his 2027 campaign comes after the controversy that surrounded aspects of his 2023 presidential campaign, particularly allegations that he appealed to religious sentiments.

Peter Obi; Bola Tinubu; Atiku Abubakar
Peter Obi; Bola Tinubu; Atiku Abubakar

In April 2023, an audio recording of a telephone conversation between Obi and David Oyedepo, founder of the Living Faith Church, popularly known as Winners’ Chapel, was leaked.

In the recording, Obi was heard describing the February 25, 2023 presidential election as a religious war, while Oyedepo responded, “I believe that.”

Obi had denied allegations that his campaign was based on religion, although his engagements with Christian groups and churches during the 2023 election generated controversy.

In June 2022, months before the election, he also urged Nigerians to “take back” the country while speaking at the Men of Valour conference organised by the Revival House of International Church of God in Abuja.

Obi contested the 2023 presidential election on the platform of the Labour Party and finished third behind Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party and Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress, who was declared the winner.

Politics

‘Content Creation’ – Presidency Dismisses Obi’s Campaign Kick-off

The Presidency has dismissed the formal kick-off of Peter Obi’s 2027 presidential campaign, describing the former Anambra State governor’s address as a “content creation press conference” filled with rhetoric and unconvincing statements.

Daniel Bwala, Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Policy Communication, made the remark in a post on X.

Bwala accused Obi of failing to use the opportunity to clearly present his vision and mission to Nigerians, while criticising the media coverage of the event.

“One candidate just did a world content creation press conference with empty rhetorics and unconvincing statements speaking to few recognizable media outlets and many unrecognizable fake news ‘tags on the mics,’” Bwala wrote.

He added, “He missed the opportunity to define his vision and mission; he was sounding like he is INEC setting the rules of engagement.”

Bwala further stated, “The truth is you cannot give what you don’t have.”

According to Bwala, “To them everything is about content creation.”

Bwala accused Obi of failing to use the opportunity to clearly present his vision and mission to Nigerians. Credit: X/BwalaDaniel

Obi had earlier formally announced the commencement of his campaign for the 2027 presidential election, saying his decision to contest was driven by the need to address the difficulties facing Nigerians.

In a live broadcast on Friday, the former governor said he considered himself one of those seeking the presidency to solve the country’s pressing problems and insisted that Nigeria must work.

“I consider myself to be among those contesting to address the challenges Nigeria is currently facing. I join this contest with one firm conviction: Nigeria must work,” Obi said.

He said the 2027 election should be determined by the qualities and ability of candidates rather than religious or ethnic considerations.

“The 2017 election must be guided by competence, capacity, compassion, character and commitment,” Obi said.

“Our campaign will focus on the urgent concerns of Nigerians and not on ethnicity or religion. Nigerians must reject and disregard any campaign driven by propaganda, ethnicity, religion or cronyism,” he added.

Obi also said he and members of his campaign team would travel across the country to meet Nigerians, listen to their concerns and use their experiences to shape his plans for the country.

“As my team and I travel across the country, we will listen to Nigerians, understand their needs and concerns, and assure them that we have the competence, character and compassion to lead and reset Nigeria for the benefit of all,” he said.

According to him, Nigerians need leaders who can listen to citizens and provide practical solutions to problems such as insecurity, poverty, hunger, poor education and inadequate healthcare.

“Nigeria deserves leaders who will engage with them, listen to their concerns and present clear solutions to unite the country, defeat insecurity, lift people out of poverty, drastically reduce hunger and the number of out-of-school children, improve education and healthcare, and build growth that serves everyone, especially the most vulnerable,” Obi said.

Obi’s decision to make national issues central to his 2027 campaign comes after the controversy that surrounded aspects of his 2023 presidential campaign, particularly allegations that he appealed to religious sentiments.

Peter Obi; Bola Tinubu; Atiku Abubakar
Peter Obi; Bola Tinubu; Atiku Abubakar

In April 2023, an audio recording of a telephone conversation between Obi and David Oyedepo, founder of the Living Faith Church, popularly known as Winners’ Chapel, was leaked.

In the recording, Obi was heard describing the February 25, 2023 presidential election as a religious war, while Oyedepo responded, “I believe that.”

Obi had denied allegations that his campaign was based on religion, although his engagements with Christian groups and churches during the 2023 election generated controversy.

In June 2022, months before the election, he also urged Nigerians to “take back” the country while speaking at the Men of Valour conference organised by the Revival House of International Church of God in Abuja.

Obi contested the 2023 presidential election on the platform of the Labour Party and finished third behind Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party and Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress, who was declared the winner.