Entertainment

JUST IN: Kwara Government yet to release freed 38 Eruku Church members to their families

Days after being freed from captivity, 38 members of the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke Isegun, Eruku, in Kwara State, are yet to be reunited with their families.

The worshippers were kidnapped by bandits on November 18 during a special thanksgiving service in Eruku, Ekiti Local Government Area.

During the attack, three persons lost their lives, and one person sustained injuries.

Government Confirms Release

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, through his Chief Press Secretary Rafiu Ajakaye, had confirmed the release of the church members.

Details of how the victims regained freedom were not disclosed. However, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, clarified that no ransom was paid and that negotiations were conducted solely by the government.

Medical and Psychological Care Underway

Following their release, the worshippers were taken to Ilorin, where they completed medical examinations sponsored by the state government.

A senior government official revealed that they are still undergoing psychological and trauma care, particularly for the elderly and children, before being returned to their families.

Families Voice Anxiety

Relatives expressed growing concern over the prolonged wait. One family member, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said:

“The government told us they are taking care of them. We celebrated when we heard they had been released, but since that day, they have not arrived in Eruku. We miss them and want them back home.”

Another relative added that conflicting reports about the worshippers’ location have heightened community worries.

Residents Reacts

Residents of Eruku welcomed the government’s intervention but urged that the freed members be returned promptly to facilitate community healing.

Sources also denied rumors that families contributed money for the release, noting that only official security personnel informed them of the victims’ freedom and transfer to the Government House for medical attention.

Government Pledges Care Before Return

Officials reiterated that the delay is aimed at ensuring thorough care for the freed worshippers.

“They went through trauma, especially the young ones and the elderly. The government wants to give them the best care before returning them home,” a source said, stressing that no ransom was paid.